Thursday 13 January 2011

Prejudice: KWL

PREJUDICE

KNOW
What do I already know about prejudice?

To me, prejudice means that a group of people is being discriminated for a particular reason and being treated in an undesirable manner. Usually, prejudice is caused by differing beliefs, opinions and even religions. This has occurred repeatedly throughout the entire history of mankind; for example, the Jews were being discriminated against during the World War II.

WANT
What do I want to learn/know about prejudice?

I would like to find out why are people so prejudiced against their fellow humans, just because of differences in race, religion and even skin colour. It is very sad to see that in the modernised world, India still has a caste system whereby inter-marrying is forbidden.

LEARN
What did I learn about prejudice?

I learnt that prejudice can cause a lot of physical and emotional harm to the victims. I also learnt the difference between "prejudice" and "discrimination", two words which most people think have the same definition. "Prejudice" is abstract and cannot be seen; however, "discrimination" is the act taken against a party, which is brought about by prejudice.

No comments:

Post a Comment